Competency Based Long Term Player Development

Welcome to the EIYSA U10 Development Blog.  The information that you find linked to this blog has been created to help both the players and the coaches of EIYSA. The first step is to understand that development is based on achieving competency.  The Competencies that we feel are important at this phase of development are listed below.

Each competency is linked to a video and description that will be helpful in teaching and learning these competencies.  Within the video you will find an accomplished player of 14 years who has mastered these competencies and you will also see the video of a 10-12 year old who had been trained specifically in these competencies over a four to five hour period.  You are able to see the end product which was developed after many hours of practice, as well as what is possible with instruction and a small amount of practice.


What Are the Competencies?
Competency based development focuses on first establishing a base of movements that we refer to as ‘The Essential Techniques’.  Simultaneously taking techniques & adding decision making required when opposition is introduced. Below you will find the level focus placed in the U10 age group.  Players may be beyond or behind in these areas so as coaches we must modify continuously.

You are able to view the information and video pertaining to the competencies by clicking either on the name of the competency itself or on the 'development category' beside the competency (I, L, A, P). To see a more detail on these Development Categories click HERE.
Age
U10
Age
U10

(with the laces for passing or shooting)
I
L
·   Plant Foot - “Heel to the center of the ball”

·   Change of direction
L
·   Kicking Foot - “Pointed to the side and not down”

·   Change of speed
I
·   Leaning Body - “Lean body to the side”

L
·   Shoulders Back/Hips Forward - “End up where you start”



·   Opposite arm “Belly button to shoulder height”

Turns



L
·   Avoid: Jumping through the ball

·   Inside & Outside of Foot Twist Off or Hook Turns
L
·   Avoid: Bending or leaning over top of the ball

L
·   Avoid: Pointing the toe straight down

L


I
Juggling (Makes the game three dimensional)
I
I
·   Posture for all juggling is hips forward/shoulders back

1v1 Techniques

With Feet:
L
I
·   Lock ankle in so slight backspin is on the ball

L
·   Every juggle is a kick (avoid juggling w/ straight leg)
I
·   Revellino I
With Thigh (not knee):
L
L
With Head:  Posture (Avoid ‘sitting down’)








Shielding (Protecting the ball)
L


·   Shielding and using turns
I



·   Maintain posture: hips forward & shoulders back
L
Passing & Control (Cannot Separate the Two)

L
Passing:
I


·   Maintain posture of hips forward / shoulders back


·   “Step backwards” (happens if posture is right)

·   Basic individual defending of jockeying/directing
I
·   “Balanced & contact in front of non-kicking foot”

·   “Step into the space between dribbler & the ball”
I
Control on the Ground:
I
·   Principles of Goal-side, Pressure, Cover, Balance

·   Hop backwards & be in the air on your first touch



·   Avoid drawing foot back to absorb the ball


·   Keep posture so head is up & can see the field

·   Attacking Principles of Width, Depth & Penetration
I
Turns with First Touch (Inside & Outside of Foot)
I
·   Combinations: 1-2, Overlap, Cross Over/Take Over
I
Control From Air (Using ½ Volley) 
“Find the Bounce”:
L
·  Playing Over, Through or Around
I
·   Hop and be on way down when making touch
I
Mental Qualities of Club Players
Learning to Train

·   Use of turns with Cruyff turn or inside & outside of the foot
I
·   Activity Level (Training Capacity, Attitude & Focus)
I
·   Control on Chest & Thigh
I
·   Attentive (Attention Control & Goal Driven)
I


·   Correction from Reflection (Imagery & Modeling)
I

This outline is used for initial assessment, but can also be used by players & parents to monitor progress.
·    Allow the ball to run across your body to the back foot. Hop backwards – Be in air on touch
I

*I=Introduce (Planting the Seeds), L=Learn (More time spent in instruction if the training tolerance/attention has been developed), A=Automate (The consistent execution of the technique), P=Perfect (Not applicable at U10.  

To see a more detail on these Development Categories click HERE.